Principal changes for individual tax 2017 :
- Individuals who need medical intervention to conceive a child are eligible to claim the same expenses as individuals with medical infertility. You can also request an adjustment to claim such medical expenses on any income tax return for the 10 previous calendar years.
- The federal education and textbook amount has been eliminated. Tuittion fees remain deductible. Carryforward of previous eduction and textbook amounts are maintained.
- Public transit amount is eliminated as of July 1st 2017. The deduction remains available for the first 6 months of the year.
- Children’s fitness tax credit is eliminated. The amount is still available for Quebec so please still provide receipts.
Source : Revenu Canada
- The health contribution has been eliminated for all taxpayers.
- The period of eligibility for the RénoVert tax credit has been extended to March 31, 2018. Conditions here !
- If you meet certain conditions, you could be entitled to a tax credit for the restoration of a secondary residence.
- The age of eligibility for the tax credit for workers 63 or older has been lowered from 64 to 63. In addition, the maximum eligible work income has been increased from $6,000 to $8,000 for workers 65 or older. The maximum tax credit is $1,200.
Source : Revenu Québec